The Bill Sanderson Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT) Scholarship is offered by HAI’s Technical Committee to promote the choice of helicopter maintenance as a career.
Each AMT Scholarship winner will have the opportunity to attend a course in helicopter airframe or engine maintenance offered by manufacturers. When submitting the application, please rank the courses listed below according to your order of preference, with your first choice being the course you most desire to attend and your eighth choice being the course you desire the least.
- Airbus Helicopters (Eurocopter): all models except Super Puma series
- Bell Helicopter: current models
- Honeywell: AB139 Primus Epic Avionics class or LTS101 engine training course
- Leonardo (AgustaWestland): A109 series
- MD Helicopters: 500/600/900 series
- Pratt & Whitney Canada: PT6T, PT6B-36/ -37 or PW-206 engines
- Rolls-Royce: 250 engines, current models
- Turbomeca: Arriel 1&2 series and Arrius 2 series engines
Courses will be awarded by preference and by award ranking. For example, the first-place winner will receive his or her first choice; the second-place winner will receive his or her first choice, if available, or second choice if the first choice has already been awarded; and so on.
All scholarship winners will be awarded funds to assist with travel and accommodation expenses associated with attending the training. The first-place winner will be awarded $1,600 from HAI. Those finishing in second, third, fourth, and fifth place will receive $1,150, $850, $750, and $650 respectively. Sixth, seventh, and eighth-place winners will receive $500.
Winners will also receive the following:
- A complimentary three-year membership in Helicopter Association International (HAI), the trade association for the international helicopter industry
- A complimentary full registration for the scholarship recipient and a guest for HAI HELI-EXPO, including dinner for two at the HAI Salute to Excellence Awards dinner; hotel and travel expenses are the responsibility of the scholarship winner and guest
- A subscription to ROTOR magazine and ROTOR Daily.
AMT Scholarship winners are invited and encouraged to attend the HAI Technical Committee meeting that will be held during Expo and will be introduced to the committee.
Scholarship applicants should be about to graduate from an FAA-approved Part 147 AMT school or be a recent (within the last three years) recipient of an airframe and powerplant (A&P) certificate. All FAA written and practical exams must be successfully completed prior to attending the chosen school; however, these exams do not necessarily have to be completed before applying for the scholarship. International applicants should have completed their respective country’s FAA-equivalent tests.
How to Apply
Scholarship applications are accepted beginning September 1. At that time, a pdf form will be available for you to download, fill out, and save to your computer. You can stop and save your work at any time; your work will be saved until your next session.
Email your completed application and all supporting documents to email@example.com by midnight EST, November 30, 2017. Please ensure that all portions are completed; only complete applications that are accompanied by all required supporting documentation will be considered.
In addition to your completed application, you will need to submit the following documents:
- If you are attending or are a graduate of a non-U.S.–based AMT school, attach equivalent test scores to the FAA A&P Exam, with attached explanation from your national aviation governing body
- Two references from employers, professionals, or representatives of community organizations
- Two letters of recommendation from employers, instructors, or others within the industry.
Scholarship winners are chosen by the HFI Scholarship Review Committee. HFI will notify all applicants of their status by January 15, 2018.
AMT scholarship winners are chosen by the HAI Technical Committee. HFI will notify all applicants of their status by January 15, 2018.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.