The HFI Commercial Helicopter Pilot Rating Scholarship is awarded each year to up to four pilots who have their private licenses and are in the process of attaining a commercial helicopter rating.
The scholarship awards $5,000 toward the cost of obtaining your commercial helicopter rating. In addition, scholarship recipients receive:
- A complimentary one-year membership in Helicopter Association International (HAI), the trade association for the international helicopter industry
- A complimentary full registration for the scholarship recipient and a guest HAI HELI-EXPO, including dinner for two at the HAI Salute to Excellence Awards dinner; hotel and travel expenses are the responsibility of the scholarship winner and guest
- A subscription to ROTOR magazine and ROTOR Daily.
Scholarship winners have one year from the date of their award to complete their training and receive their commercial helicopter rating. Scholarship awards that have not been claimed in that time will be considered void.
Payment of the scholarship award is conditional on receipt of supporting documentation from the student’s school stating that the student has successfully completed the required coursework and has been received an FAA or international-equivalent rating. If the school has not been compensated by the student, HFI will make payment to the institution on behalf of the student. Scholarship payments are for tuition and training only, up to the maximum limit of the scholarship awarded.
Applicants must be enrolled in a flight training program at an FAA-approved Part 141 school or international equivalent. Applicants must also hold at least a 2nd-class or international-equivalent medical certificate. Applicants who expect to receive their commercial ratings prior to January 1, 2018, are not eligible to apply for this award
How to Apply
Scholarship applications are accepted beginning September 1. At that time, a pdf form will be available for you to download, fill out, and save to your computer. You can stop and save your work at any time; your work will be saved until your next session.
Email your completed application and all supporting documents to email@example.com by midnight EST, November 30, 2017. Please ensure that all portions are completed; only complete applications that are accompanied by all required supporting documentation will be considered.
In addition to your completed application, you will need to submit the following documents:
- Airman certificates, if applicable
- A copy of the last page of your pilot logbook and the class and date of your medical certificate
- Certification of your flight school’s status as a FAA-certified Part 141 facility or international-equivalent flight training program
- Two signed letters of recommendation: one from your flight school program director, administrator, or instructor, and one from an employer, instructor, or other person who can attest to your aviation background, training, and experience.
Scholarship winners are chosen by the HFI Scholarship Review Committee. HFI will notify all applicants of their status by January 15, 2018.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.